Mental Health Workshop
These in-person/live workshops are currently reserved for members of the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite.
(This is a rough outline in so far as every workshop has differed some in content and depth, dependent on attendee interest and presenter inspiration. )
- Fundamentals of mental health
- Mental health triage – tips on interviewing/asking the right questions
- Learning the art of listening
- Personality disorders and treatments
- PTSD, trauma, adverse childhood events/experiences – cause and effect.
- Depression and anxiety – treatments and therapies
- Brain physiology and basic medication review
- Spirituality and mental health
- Counseling techniques and therapies
- Same-sex attraction and masculinity
- Marriage counseling
- Grief work
- Addictions and treatment (includes an introduction and recommendations related to the Conquer Series)
- Resiliency – victims versus victors. Letting go, and moving on
Teaching method: Part classroom, part experiential. May include lecture, power-point, film, discussion, personal interaction, exercises.
Note: topics covered and to what degree may change somewhat from workshop to workshop. I am always adding and optimizing material.
This workshop is available/open to:
- Conference Care, Resource and Auxiliary Team members
- All staff – ministers and deacons
- Couples and individuals actively involved in counseling, mentoring, or helping others in some shape or form.
- Couples who have adopted/fostered, been involved with children with special needs in some way
- Teachers involved in special needs/special education
This workshop is NOT for individuals seeking counseling/therapy/help for themselves (although attendees do have a chance to do personal work surrounding adverse childhood experience, trauma and past events – and most find the workshop therapeutic from a personal standpoint).
- Thursday evening: 6:30 PM – supper, meet and greet
- Friday: 8:30 AM to 8 PM – ample breaks, lunch and supper provided
- Saturday: 8:30 AM to 8 PM
- Sunday: attend local/hosting church. Lunch 1 PM, class from 2 PM to 6 PM. 7-9 PM: Evening – testimonies, checkout
Note: We require couples to attend as couples if at all possible. We also require full attendance for the duration of the workshop.
Disclaimer/endorsement: this workshop is supported and endorsed by the Conference Care Committee and Resource Team but is not a part of those entities.
Enquiries: Whatsapp 574-238-8372 (Ben)
Workshop: $300-375 per person. Prices subject to change depending on location of workshop, airfare, etc. Prices in USD. Discounts available for teachers.
Workbook: New updated version. Now included in price of workshop.
Hosting: Are you interested in hosting a workshop in your congregation? Following is the suggested protocol to follow:
- Procure local staff and congregational support and approval.
- Be prepared to host 6-10 couples in your homes for nights and breakfast.
- Be prepared to supply 2 meals a day for 3 days – whoever supplies the meals is welcome to sit in for the following session.
- The workshop location should comfortably seat 6-10 couples. It is usually held in a home but we have used a school as well. We are open to your ideas! Whoever hosts the workshop is welcome to attend all three days free of charge.
- If possible we ask that a white board and projector be supplied.
MHW # 9 – Hiawatha , KS
$300 USD per person
April 13-16, 2023
(wait list only)
Due to work/life balance and scheduling conflicts
the summer workshops for 2023 have been canceled.
MHW # 10 – Walnut Hill, FL
$300 USD per person
Sept 28-Oct 1, 2023
Class is almost full at this time – I have room for another couple or two.
to be placed on wait list)
MHW # 11 – To be determined.
to sign up)
I am not sure if we will continue these workshops.
Are people still interested? Is there a need? Is this season over?
If you have comments or thoughts on this
I would love to hear from you.
Future workshops to be determined.
Past Workshop Locations
North Georgia, GA
Carson City, MI
Sunnyslope, AB, Canada
Walnut Hill, FL
References are available from these past workshops if you wish to speak with a past attendee before signing up.
Online Marriage Course
In early 2022 we rolled out a new marriage course to help inspire couples to deeper marriage relationships.
This online or virtual course is done on WhatsApp where we post a lesson “core” every other week with discussion points and optional homework. We don’t wish to add pressure and added stress to your lives but your input is appreciated … and you will get out of it what you put into it. We add to the “core” as the week progresses depending on the time we have, inspiration, and the input we receive from you as participants.
The logistics: we create a four-way WhatsApp chat – Ben, Rose, and you as husband and wife (there are other instructors as well, so you will make a chat with whoever that is, if it’s not us). This is a private, confidential chat. We take up to 5 or 6 couples per 8 week course and send thoughts and responses either personally on the chat or as a “broadcast.”
At this point there are 8 lessons but we may add another two in the future for a total of ten. These lessons are a compendium of thought from various resources and have been influenced by many of the couples to whom we have sent it for editing and further input. Please remember this is an evolving course and will grow and be added to over time.
Pricing: We have learned from experience that paying for something endows it with more meaning and causes one to give themselves at a deeper level. At this point we request a fee of $35 per lesson and we highly prefer that couples pay half to the whole amount ($280) so they are invested in the course. Payment should be simple through Paypal, accessed through the payment tab.
Lesson #1 – Going Back
Lesson #2 – Love Maps
Lesson #3 – Nurturing Love and Affection
Lesson #4 – Turning Towards Each Other/Making Bids
Lesson #5 – Influencing Each Other
Lesson #6 – Solving Problems
Lesson #7 – Intimacy
Lesson #8 – Creating Shared Meaning
To sign up please contact us at 574-238-8372 either by text or Whatsapp.
Disclaimer: this course has been approved by the Conference Care Committee. Copies have been given to the Conference Counseling Committee as well. Please contact Ben or someone from the Care Committee with concerns and/or comments regarding content and presentation.